At the ongoing annual GSMA Mobile World Congress Shanghai (MWCS) from 27th June to 29th June at the Shanghai New International Expo Centre. Qualcomm has unveiled three new mobile platforms at MWCS 2018. An American multinational semiconductor company Qualcomm that designs Chipsets. Qualcomm has new mid-range Mobile Platforms – Snapdragon 632, 439 and 429. The sim is to offer superior graphics and artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities in budgeted smartphones!
Snapdragon 632, a successor to the Snapdragon 626 chipset is built on the 14nm FinFET process. The Snapdragon 439 and 429 are also built on the FinFET process. These three SoCs offers better performance and enhanced connectivity options. It also promises great battery life.
MWCS’18 announced AI capabilities
Qualcomm has all three chipsets featuring Artificial Intelligence (AI) capabilities. These chipsets support Qualcomm Neural Processing SDK. It comes with many features like real-time video filtering, text translation, people detection, and face unlock. It also offers support for the single camera. With this feature, AI can detect the foreground and background. This feature helps to add DSLR-like blur effects to your images. The AI also supports Smart Album feature.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 632
This is placed right in between the Snapdragon 626 and Snapdragon 636 mobile platforms. Snapdragon 632 is built on a 14-nm FinFET process. The SoC is designed to offer 40% performance enhancements. Qualcomm has opted for the newer octa-core CPU with 8 Kryo 250 cores. The Kryo 250 cores are clocked at 1.8GHz with Adreno 506 GPU for superior graphics.
- It supports Full HD+ display resolutions.
- The Snapdragon 632 comes with a 24MP single rear camera.
- It supports dual cameras. It brings support for real-time wide-angle.
- The chipset also offers 4K video capture.
- Supports X9 LTE modem for fast cellular speeds.
It is the successor of Snapdragon 435 platform. Snapdragon 439 SoC is built around 8 Cortex A53 cores. Out of these eight cores, four are performance cores clocked at 1.95GHz. The other four cores are clocked at 1.45GHz.
- The Snapdragon 439 comes with X6 LTE modem.
- A 20% jump in graphics performance.
- 25% jump in system performance.
- Faster app launch and prolonged battery life.
- Single camera either supports 21MP unit or 8MP+8MP dual cameras.
- Snapdragon 439 can handle a full HD+ display resolution.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 429
It succeeds the Snapdragon 425 SoC. Snapdragon 429 is a quad-core platform. It has 4 Cortex A53 cores clocked at 1.95GHz.
- A 25% jump in system performance.and 50% jump in graphics.
- Snapdragon 429 comes with X6 LTE modem.
- It can handle a single 16MP camera
- Supports Dual 8MP cameras.
- It can handle HD+ display resolution.
It will be interesting to see how these chipsets perform in future!
Tech-savvy and a passionate blogger. I have done software engineering from the University of Mumbai. Technology Specialist 2.0 in DOT NET. I also have my personal website http://glamourbytes.com/